Some time after 1870, the Paris rag-and-bone men moved outside city limits for public health reasons. They then settled between the fortifications and the first houses of Saint-Ouen village where, every sunday, they spread their wares flat on the ground.
In 1908, this popular “Flea Fair” became reachable by the metro. From 1920, the “Puces” dealers began selling from enclosed stalls, and then Vernaison, Malik, Biron, and Vallès Markets were created.
The gypsies, who worked as chair-canners and guitar players in these markets, took to Afro-American music and invented manouche jazz, which has ever since been closely associated to the Puces’ identity.
After 1945, junk dealers and ragand- bone men gave way to brocanteurs (second-hand furniture dealers), antiques and clothes dealers. Thirteen other markets opened between 1945 and 1991.
Lécuyer and L’Usine : Open on weekdays.
- rues Jules Vallès, Lécuyer, rue Marceau, Paul Bert, rue des Rosiers, Voltaire: furniture, booksellers, art objects from all periods.
-Le Plateau, rue Jean Henri Fabre, avenue Michelet: new clothes, shoes and accessories.