The church Saint-Jean-the Evangelist was never fully completed. Along with Saint-Louis-du-Progrès, it counted among the first constructions carried out by Cardinal Verdier. The church Saint-Jean-the Evangelist was built in Drancy from 1933 to 1935. Creation of the "Cité du Nord" at the end of the nineteenth century densified this neighborhood.
As there was not any place of worship in the area, Cardinal Verdier remedied this by the construction of a chapel. The architect Jean Philippot designed the plans and the first stone was laid in 1933. It was inaugurated in 1935. This chapel remained unfinished. Only the nave and the bell tower were completed. The framework of the building of Saint-Jean-the Evangelist, also called Saint-Jean-Baptiste, is entirely covered in concrete and red brick. The bell tower is decorated with loopholes.